BBE Music is proud to present the first official compilation of edits by Berlin DJ producer and label owner Daniel Haaksman, titled “Black Atlantica Edits”.
In 2004, Haaksman put Brazilian baile funk on the map with his seminal “Rio Baile Funk Favela Booty Beats” compilation. Today he runs Man Recordings, Europe’s leading tropical bass label, which has put out more than one hundred releases cultivating trans-continental music and sound dialogues between Europe, South America and Africa.
For “Black Atlantica Edits”, Daniel presents ten dancefloor-friendly reworks, made both from vintage and current tracks, from all across the Americas and Africa. Featuring a diverse cast of international artists including Francis Bebey, CK Mann, Soul Brothers, Bonde Do Rôlé and Kaba Blon, this album explores the Afro-Latin diaspora, with edits that consistently grace the record crates of Gilles Peterson and Mr Scruff among others.
The album’s title refers to the Paul Gilroy’s 1993 book “The Black Atlantic : Modernity and Double Consciousness”. In it, Gilroy examines how the Black diasporic history of the Atlantic challenges art and knowledge to find new forms – with music being particularly important. Daniel Haaksman picked up on Gilroy ́s idea of the Black Atlantic as a transnational cultural realm when putting together his musical deconstructions and reworks for his “Black Atlantica Edits”.
Daniel intentionally added an “a” to the “Atlantic” to point out to the non- English, Portuguese, Spanish or French speaking cultures that are part of the wider Black Atlantic space, e.g. Brazil and Angola, and to a further extent also countries like Peru, Cameroon or Mali, which all have been touched by the trans-continental dialogues and its hybrid culture.
1. Victoria Santa Cruz – Me Gritaron Negra! (Daniel Haaksman Edit)
2. Francis Bebey – Sunny Crypt (Daniel Haaksman Edit)
3. DJ Havaiana – Cazukuta (Daniel Haaksman Edit)
4. Master Chivero – Black September (Daniel Haaksman Edit)
5. Super Mama Djombo – Dissan Na M´bera (Suur Di No Pubis) (Daniel Haaksman Edit)
6. CK Mann + Carousel 7 – Asafo Beesuon (Daniel Haaksman Edit)
7. Soul Brothers – Akabongi (Daniel Haaksman Edit)
8. Pinduca – Vamos Farrear (Daniel Haaksman Edit)
9. Bonde Do Rolê – Dança Molengo (Daniel Haaksman Edit)
10. Kaba Blon – Moribiyassa (Daniel Haaksman Edit)